From the XIV through the XVII century, the feudal castle of Salabue with the domain of Tomarengo passed from hand to hand between the noble families of the Natta, Fassati, Tizzoni and Nuvoloni, always partitioned in two distinct properties. At the end of the XVI century the Nuvoloni housed the Tabachetti brothers of the famous artist family who decorated the many chapels of the nearby Holy mountain of Crea. In the XVII century the domain was elevated into a county by the Gonzaga who conferred it to Carlo Francesco Cozio, lord of Montiglio and Terruggia, Casalese patrician who became count of Salabue in 1665. The castle was united into one property and transformed into a country residence, the moat was filled and redesigned as drive way alley, the towers were lowered to level the main structure. The Cozio of Salabue resided here for five generations.
Two conspicuous personalities of the Cozio family were Carlo Francesco, invested in 1725, who issued a land register which is still held at Ponzano municipality, and in 1766 published works on chess “Il giuoco degli scacchi, ossia nuova idea di attachi, difese e partiti” in two volumes (see web). Himself a virtuous violonist, his passion passed on to his son Ignazio Alessandro, invested in 1780, a world famous collector of string instruments (Stradivary and others) and author of the “Saggio critico sulla liuteria cremonese”. He was also a member of the royal “Deputazione di Storia Patria” and president of the Senate in Casale. During the French occupation, he donate the Monferrato archives which he had gathered to the State Archives at Turin where they are open to the public to this day.
The sister of Ignazio Alessandro, Paola, was married in 1778 to Silvio Davico count of Quittengo, of Fossano. The grandson Pietro Giovenale Davico di Quittengo, heir of the Cozio family then extinct, was infeoffed with the county of Salabue by King Carlo Alberto on 3rd August 1841 and was the last count of Salabue. The successive generation of the count Davico sold the property to the Guazzoni-Bezzi family who held it until 1935 when the count and countess Corrado and Elena Davico di Quittengo bought it back for the family. The castle underwent restoration and further improvements to meet modern standards of comfort as country residence, with the help of the architect Gianni Ricci and decorators and painters Vittorio Accornero and Alfredo Parachini. The interior was redesigned and decorated inside and outside, an Italian garden was created and a loggia to enhance and lighten the eastern wing. Today the count Davico family lives at Salabue permanently and manage the vineyard, the woods and the B&B guest house.